Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Conan O'Brien Going to TBS

Conan O-Brien will move to the TBS network in the fall. People say that this will add a new sense of humor to the network and it will attract new viewers. TBS needed a new face to get its ratings up. TBS is known for its reruns and a lot of thier audience doesnt connect any shows to the network like MTV does with "The Real World" or ABC with "Lost". Bringing in Conan O'Brien will bring high hopes of changing this issue, they think by having such a well-known comedian with his popular show will have people connect the network to him. I think it will bring in more viwers to TBS and make the network more money. I dont like the fact that he is switching networks though, because Im use to him being on NBC. This might upset some people, because they dont like change and they want him to stay with the bigger network.

How does this tie into advertising? Well this television network is using O'Brien as a brand. Since TBS has been a great place to sells ads, the network thinks that with O'brien's show airing on the station, it will attract more viewers. Being a late night comedy show, alot of younger people will be watching it and advertisers like to target the younger audience because they have such a high disposible income.



5 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if Conan O'Brien, is going to boost TBS ratings with this move. It might attract some more viewers but overall, I don't think their viewership is going to go up that much. The typical Conan O'Brien fans, will most likely follow his move to another station but I'm not sure if they are going to be able to gain younger audience viewers. I haven't seen any of the commercials but I think it is interesting that they are selling O'Brien as a brand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I am not sure which side of this I agree with. I do agree with your point about TBS using O'Brien as a brand and they are clearly using him in hopes that it will increase their ratings and overall views, however, I am unsure if it will. I do believe that it will add a new and different sense of humor to the station and who knows, people could say well O'Brien is the funniest, so whichever channel he is on, I am going to watch. Or they could turn around and say, oh well I'll find a new comedian to follow. I guess we'll find out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Conan. That being said, I'm just glad he's found another network he can hopefully call home. And I agree, TBS is not a network that anyone recognizes as 'the channel that show is on' such as Lost or The Real World. It is just a bunch of reruns of mediocre shows. "Very Funny" will definitely represent Conan in many ways. So yes, hopefully Conan, along with his viewers, will warrant a new audience to the advertisements TBS promotes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think TBS is doing a good job using Conan O'Brien as a brand. He has many followers so they are most likely to watch him on tbs. This will be a nice new face for TBS and will spice it up and make it more new and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not really sure if Conan is going to be able to increase TBS's ratings. I think maybe, in the beginning when people arenexcited for him to get back to late night TV, but I'm really not sure how people will feel. He did lose some viewers when he changed time slots, so what is going to change now that he is on TBS? I think this is going to be a great opportunity for TBS to start making really great advertisements in order to spike up ratings for themselves through Conan. I guess we're just going to have to see what happens! This will maybe raise ratings for Lopez Tonight since Conan will probably next to him in the lineup.

    ReplyDelete