Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Facebook "Like" Button for Brands

Companies and advertisements are comming up with new ways for fans on facebook to show thier interest in a brand. Instead of becoming a fan to a specefic brand, facebook ads are going to have the "Like" button. It is the same thing as the like button that you would click for a status or a wall post. Advertisers feel that this would be a more easy and natural way for fans to show thier love to brands such as Starbucks. Businesses use facebook to promote thier product and connect with thier customers. Its also a way for businesses to make money. Businesses also feel that if you like a company page then it will be in your minifeed on your homepage and all your friends can see it, so its a better way to get thier name out there.

They keep coming up with new ways to advertise on facebook. I think its a little crazy that they are going to make such a small change just to see if they get more attention and new customers. I think with facebook being the largest social network it is a smart idea to post advertisements on the site but many people get annoyed with them and simply tune them out. That is what I do at least. I mean, really how is "liking" a companies page going to benefit them? I could click like on a coca-cola page, but it doesnt mean I am going to run to the store and buy the drink! I really think this isnt going to make companies more money so it is a pretty stupid idea.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with your closing statement about how just clicking the like button is not going to benefit the company in any way. Yes, it is going to give them more exposure to people that do like it but that does not necessarily mean that we are going to get up off our computers that very second and go out and buy that specific product. I also do not see how becoming a fan of a company's fan page is benefiting them either. It is the same concept as the clicking the like button and I agree that it is a pretty stupid idea and concept.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go on 'like' binges everyone once and a while on Facebook, and just recently I liked my friend's activity - when I saw that her wall read, "Amy likes Barbie's status.". I clicked on the 'Barbie' link, and it was a fan page for Barbie. The doll. This made me wonder if Amy really does read Barbie's page, (she obviously does since she liked certain things) and so is this just exposure or will my friend act on purchasing a Barbie product?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually haven't seen this "like" button for any products yet but I have seen the become a fan pages because I am a fan of a lot of them. Or maybe I haven't seen this "like" button for products and companies because like with other advertisements going down the right side of my homepage I tune them out! just like you.
    I also like you don't see how by this "like" button companies would get anyone to go buy a product but I understand that they just want attention to their product in any way or another even if it is small. and Yes they are smart for doing it the large social network of Facebook. and Yes, its already very annoying but all we can do is tune it out because I don't see any companies backing down by promoting their stuff on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dont like the new like option for products and things. I liked being a fan. I felt it created a tighter connection then just liking something. Its awkward to see on facebook now. but facebook changes like every month so I wonder what they will come up with next...

    ReplyDelete